Thoughtful Spot

Joseph Turner, The Junction of the Thames and the Medway, 1807
I've spent the last two afternoons in the National Gallery.

You know how Winnie the Pooh has a "thotful" spot?

Inside a museum is my thoughtful spot.

The loudest sounds are the click of my shoes, the small children in the next room, and the elderly gentleman sweetly reading the names of each painting and artist to his wife. Other than that, my mind is free to wander to anything I choose: what I'm doing with my life, the NBA finals, how I'm going to get to the metro without getting soaked by the rain, how each of my family members are doing, and the due dates for my library books. With each new topic, I'm determined to work it through until the answers are easy.

In the midst of these thoughts, I wander through room after room. I spend a lot of time on romanticism and quickly pass the rococo (gross). I work my way forward to realism and impressionism. I take a prolonged pause at Manet, because that's the natural response when you see a Manet--you just stare. 

Only when my feet are screaming at me to sit down do I finally make my way out.

And it's beautiful. All of it. The painting, the building itself, the thinking. Everything (except maybe the school group walking in the doors).

I can't think of a better thoughtful spot.

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Words by Allyson. Theme by STS.