Across the Pond: Edinburgh, Day 4 + Final Thoughts

Saturday was our last day in Scotland.

After our last breakfast at Pep & Fodder, we walked to yet another cemetery. This time, we were in search of Adam Smith's grave. After wandering for quite some time, Gabbi found it. And the gate was unlocked, so we stepped in. We flailed our arms a little (it's got to be a historian thing, they just have a mind of their own when I get around anything significant) and then took a bunch of pictures, before someone from the cemetery came and asked if we had a key to the gate, since it's apparently usually locked. I wondered what made him think the two American girls would have a key to ADAM SMITH'S GRAVE. We finished our photo shoot, and promptly had another one with the Robert Ferguson statue just outside.


Then, we took the plunge. Actually, it's kind of the exact opposite. We hiked Arthur's Seat.

The hills were bright green and there were dogs running around and it was only slightly grey outside. There were several different paths and little pit stops along the way to take pictures, and explore this little outlook, and just to rest. The path was pretty slick and rocky, but we made it! And it was GORGEOUS. Totally worth the sore knees on the way down. Afterward, as we looked up at the top, Gabbi turned to me and said "WE WERE RIGHT THERE!"



We decided that was enough exercise, and headed to the base of the hills and the Palace of Holyroodhouse, the Queen's house in Scotland. The first thing we did was down a bottle of water, and then paid our admission. All of the interior was led via audio tour, and probably the best audio tour I've ever had, which is especially great since I generally hate them. The building was stunning with tapestries and portraits galore (I counted 5 of Charles II, also cuff links with his blood in them). There was the dining room, the throne room, the king's bedchamber all on the way to my favorite portion: Mary, Queen of Scots chambers.

It was another of those flailing arms moments. The bed itself and the ceiling were stunning. There was a little room off to the side where David Rizzio was killed by Mary's husband. The next room had a lock of her hair, cards from her son, pieces of jewelry, the niche where she prayed. I was in heaven.

Outside the castle we walked through Holyrood Abbey and very, very briefly in the gardens. 



We left the palace, and were greeted with a protest outside. Lovely.

After another round of shopping, I pulled out my Brave self again. I ate haggis. I actually really liked it. These pictures could not be less flattering, but they perfectly encapsulate how I felt taking the first bite.





I promise I liked it. I finished the whole plate, and then tried not to think about it too much. But I'd eat it again. 

We headed back for an early night to catch our flight home the next morning. Oh! We did go upstairs and see the door to the JK Rowling suite. The door knocker is an owl! I touched the handle that she touched.


After about sixteen hours of travel, I was back in Virginia and dead tired. My friend Jessica picked me up from the airport, took me home for dinner (something I couldn't be more grateful for, so THANK YOU, JESSICA!), and then I fell into bed at about 7 pm.

There were lots of random favorites along the way, too:

That one Starbucks that actually felt like an eighteenth-century coffeehouse where we stopped everyday for hot chocolate and WiFi
Pep and Fodder
Snatch it -- a ridiculously fun version of bananagrams
MasterChef
Gogglebox
hotel slippers and "Good Morning" towels
Miss Katie Cupcake's jewelry shop
That glorious bathroom and shower.
The two-pound coin
And ginger snaps.

The trip was amazing. Incredible. I cannot wait until the next time I get to do something like that again. Best impulsive decision ever. When Gabbi texted me in December asking if I wanted to go Scotland for spring break, I laughed out loud. I almost said no. Instead, I bought a plane ticket. I am so glad I said yes. I am so glad that she asked me to come (THANK YOU, GABBI!). We had the best time. I'd do it again in a heartbeat (well, once I save some money).

It was the first actual stamp in my passport, and I will always be grateful for it.




Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Words by Allyson. Theme by STS.