On the End of a Friendship


On New Year's day, I had just finished a particularly upsetting football game, when I left my parent's house to meet two of my friends from high school for dessert. I hadn't seen either of them in about two years, and I was pretty excited.

With one of these friends, it felt the same. After we finished our yogurt, we sat together in the car and talked for almost an hour. I still love her as much as I did in high school.

The other friend was different. While we had always been able to talk and just relax, the whole situation felt tense. Conversation was awkward and short. Even though we had wanted to get together, it felt like I was more of a pit stop on his vacation than a happy reunion. As he got up to leave, I remember thinking, "this is probably the last time we'll ever talk." Part of me was really sad; he had been one of my best friends growing up. The rest of me rolled her eyes and told me to stop being so dramatic. Looking back, I'm really just fine. We didn't talk much before, we probably won't talk at all anymore. I can handle that.

But.

I'm afraid that it's going to happen again, but this time when I won't be okay with it. I feel like I'm losing touch with some people who mean a whole lot to me.

I don't know how to fix it.

There has to be a way.

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Words by Allyson. Theme by STS.