House Thinking


This past week, I read House Thinking: A Room-By-Room Look at How We Live by Winifred Gallagher.

Guys, this book may have changed my life.

That might be a little intense, but it has seriously had me thinking for the past week. Winnie (don't you think she goes by Winnie? I would, if my name was Winifred) organized the book around her home, taking you room by room and analyzing the history and psychology around each room.

The other night, in an unusual circumstance, I was looking at apartments and townhouses online with a friend. I couldn't stop myself from contemplating what those spaces and rooms were designed for and how I would utilize them, and why they're even set up that way in the first place. It made me want to move (I was seriously tempted by a few of them). It made me consider both why certain design choices were made, but how I would function in each of those spaces.

I'm fascinated by the concept of Home. Over the past year or so, when I talk about Florida, I tend to say "at my parent's house" instead of "back Home." It kinda weirded me out at first, cause if that's not Home, is that Virginia? Does Virginia feel like Home? Sometimes it does, and then I try to work out if I'm okay with that. There are a lot of thing I like about where I live. But if I'm honest, my townhouse situation right now is not ideal. It's not bad. It works for what I need it to do. And I'm so, so grateful for it. I'm just not sure if I'd give it the Home title.

I'm working on it. I know what I want my Home to be like, to feel like, and (in a world where I marry that brain surgeon) to look like. Most of those things aren't here yet. K, almost all of those things aren't here yet.

I'm curious when I'll finally feel wholly comfortable in my home.

Also, how gorgeous is that duvet? The image came from Ebay and is unfortunately no longer there.

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Words by Allyson. Theme by STS.