Can We Talk About Normcore?





Normcore. As NY Magazine put it: Fashion for those who realize they're one in 7 billion.

When it first popped up earlier this year, I liked it. You mean normal and "fitting in" is okay? It takes a lot of effort to stand out, and I usually don't have the energy. And I really like jeans and tennies. They just work.

But for how "normal" normcore is, there seems to be an inordinate number of sweatpants involved. And socks with sandals is never an option for me. It seems normal has quickly and easily turned to sloppy, which is unfortunate.  I agree with Tom Ford's assertion that "dressing well is a form of good manners," and while I do tend to blend in, I like to think I'm still put together.

Enter Gap's Dress Normal campaign, and I've found my brand of normcore. Gap hasn't given me a reason to get excited since . . . ever I think. So that was a nice surprise as well.

Here's to being normal.

images via Gap, Inc.

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Words by Allyson. Theme by STS.