When You Don't Have a Team



So I really enjoy watching college football. I didn't for a long time, but somewhere in my junior year of high school it just clicked, and now I just love it. I don't read the blogs or follow ESPN on Twitter, but I do watch SportsCenter over my cereal and College GameDay runs on my computer while I clean on Saturday mornings. I have schedules written in my planners weeks in advance. When I was at BYU, I would watch the Seminoles every weekend, and then head to the stadium to watch the Cougars. I went to the games each week (though admittedly, my last year I gave up; it's not fun to watch when you lose all the time). It's the supreme form of escape to me. I'm not perfect at it. I don't understand everything. But it sure is important to me.

However, this is not the case when it comes to the NFL. I'm disinterested. I watch the Super Bowl like any other person, but with much less enthusiasm than the College Football Championship Game (isn't that the new name for it?). That doesn't mean I don't have opinions or know absolutely nothing. Early morning SportsCenter does help me briefly follow who gets traded where, who's injured, and the big teams, but it just doesn't have the excitement college does.

Then one day, I figured it out.

I don't have a team. There's no point in watching if you have no one to support. I'm not invested in anyone. And I really want to be.

But how do you just pick? You don't pick a team; you grow up with a team. You know the iconic players and coaches. You've been to their stadium and had a shirt since you were little. Your team has to come from somewhere. I think this is my problem with Major League Baseball as well. Are you really a fan if one day you just choose to be?

It's a serious problem.

And I don't know how to fix it.

image via CBSSports.com

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Words by Allyson. Theme by STS.