For Grandpa


My grandfather passed away last night.

I am so grateful to be part of his family. When we went on vacation and it was freezing at the Yorktown battlefield, he put his arms around my sister and me and kept us warm. I seem to always picture him in plaid shirts. This Thanksgiving, I sat at a table with him, Grandma, and my aunt Stacey.  Grandpa told me a little about when he worked in the temple visitor's center in Washington DC with Grandma.  He used to scratch my neck with the hairs on his chin when I'd hug him. He watched Hallmark movies, which might be one reason that I like them so much. He confirmed me after my baptism and gave me my patriarchal blessing nine years later. I once went to Lowe's with him, and the man definitely knew his way around a home improvement store.  He would fall asleep in the red chair at my parents' house. When you'd share some news with him, he'd reply with "Well, how about that!" And Grandpa worked hard. I think I remember that the most.

I will miss him very much.  He certainly left me a great example and legacy of faithful service and love.

I'm proud to be his granddaughter.

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Words by Allyson. Theme by STS.