The Healing Power of Thank You Notes


This morning, I finally wrote Christmas thank-you notes.  I know, over a month late.

When I was growing up, thank you notes were a family affair.  The parents called all of the kids to the table. Mom assigned each of us a thank-you note to write, and then we passed them around until everyone in the family had signed them all. I'll be honest, those were not my favorite evenings.

But the tradition of writing thank you notes stuck with me, and now I write them on my own. This past Christmas, they had gotten away from me.  This week I read a book.  In it, one of the main characters is poor.  Devastatingly poor.  She doesn't have a toothbrush or batteries or soap or a bathroom door. I have all of those things, and plenty more.

So, this morning I sat down to thank people who gave me the plenty more.  And I felt content and grateful and foolish to ever think that I needed more.  It's all part of the Healing Power of Thank You Notes.

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Words by Allyson. Theme by STS.