On Knowing Things

Last week, I watched this Ted Talk:



I don't think it's a secret that I love Jeopardy and this talk was right up my alley.  I especially love the quote that he shares by Samuel Parr: "It's always better to know a thing than not to know it."

I like to know things -- states and capitals, who won the Oscars, the order of the electromagnetic spectrum.  I'm coming to realize that there is power in knowing things, that I feel more capable and confident as I approach my world with things actually in my head, and not just at my fingertips.  Some of these things are trivial; they won't do much for me as far as application.  But knowledge proves to me that there is so much I don't understand, can't grasp--not yet, at least.  I guess I have to keep trying to know.

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Words by Allyson. Theme by STS.