I Am Not A Hipster

hipster : [hip-ster]  --- definition courtesy of dictionary.com
noun  Slang
1. A person who is hip.
2. hepcat (what the heck is that???)
3. A person, especially in the 1950s, characterized by a particularly strong sense of alienation from most established social activities and relationships.

This one time last semester I went to an exhibit opening at the art museum on campus. I had to go for a class, and I remember sitting there thinking, "I am not hipster enough to be here."  It was kind of bizarre.

Flash forward to this week when a friend told me I was hipster. It was weird. Me? The girl who idolizes Kate Middleton and can't get enough Chanel a hipster?


I don't think so.

I kept thinking about it. For DAYS.

And I've pretty much decided I'm not a hipster at heart, but sometimes I say things or like things that disagree with that conclusion.  So what?  It's okay if I want to wear converse and skinnies.


That doesn't make me a hipster . . . does it? 

And I only like obscure things for the sake of making them less obscure, so that everyone else can love them as much as I do.

So no, I Am Not A Hipster.

image via

1 comment

Blog Archive

Words by Allyson. Theme by STS.