Dad


Every once in a while, I'll get a phone call from Dad.  If I miss the call, he leaves a message:  Al, it's Dad; just checkin' in on ya.  Give me a call.  I would be lying if I said that I didn't sometimes pull up those voicemails and listen when I'm feeling a little upset.

When I do answer, we just sit and chat for a few minutes about school, work, and really anything I want to talk about.  Dad laughs when I say silly things, but he never makes me feel silly.  After our time is spent, he says:  Well I'll let you go.  I love you.

I am so grateful for my father.  Dad has set a great example for me.  He loves my mother.  He loves his children.  He loves his mother.  He loves our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.  His ability to love has greatly blessed my life.

There is one particular time that I remember Dad being especially wonderful.   The day before I left for college, I was an absolute mess.  I was really scared.  The prospect of being 1500 miles from anything or anyone familiar, apart from my brother Cory, was perhaps the most terrifying obstacle.  I was so distraught that I had difficulty focusing on anything.  I went out to sit on the tire swing in my parents' backyard and just cried for a good long time.  When I finally came back into the house, Dad asked me to come talk to him in my bedroom.  The room was chaotic, half packed up and the rest just thrown all over the place.  I sat on my bed with tears in my eyes and Dad sat next to me.  He looked at me and asked, "Are you going to be okay?" It was the perfect question.  We both knew that at that moment, I was not okay.  But could I get there?  Maybe not that day, but I knew that I would ultimately be okay.  He helped me pack up a few more things, and then told me he would take care of the rest.  He gave me a hug and a kiss and told me that he loved me and knew that I could do it.  I knew he meant it too.

Thank you, Dad, for being all kinds of wonderful.  I hope I can grow up to be like you.

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Words by Allyson. Theme by STS.