Playing

{via}

Last week, I had to take a midterm for my American History class.  The midterm was online, we'd been given almost all of the questions ahead of time, and it was open book.  With all this you'd think it would be easy, but the truth is it was a beast.  I remember sitting in the library with my laptop and notes and looking as the little timer in the corner counted down those two hours I had to take it.  It was scary.  But I got through it.  I was thankful for all the time I had taken to prepare, and I felt really good about my performance.  It was 9:00 pm before I had finished the exam.  I pressed submit and just sat there for a few minutes enjoying the stillness of that completed exam.  Then I packed up my bag and walked up to the fourth floor.

On the fourth floor is the Music and Dance section.  For almost 30 minutes, I roamed those shelves, looking for music and getting excited with each discovery.  I finally selected 3 books and left the library.  In an empty classroom, I sat down to play the piano for the first time in almost 3 months.  There was no one else in the building, and soon my volume was through the roof.  I played like I haven't played in a long time.  I couldn't help but smile.  I closed my eyes and let the music remove all the stress and anxiety from my life and I felt overwhelming peace.  I even shed a few tears.

That day, I was grateful for my talent.  I was grateful to my sweet mother who made me practice.  I was grateful to her for teaching me to play, and for always playing for me whenever I would ask.  I am so incredibly blessed to have her in my life and to have this ability.  I resolved to remember how I felt and to play much more often.

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Words by Allyson. Theme by STS.