Jekyll and Hyde

I've recently been listening to lots of show tunes, but particularly to the music from Jekyll and Hyde (1997).  While the show itself is a little dark for me, the music is some of the most beautiful pieces I've heard.  I've been thinking a lot about some of the things the show teaches.

The real main theme of the show is the idea that both good and bad reside within us.  In my opinion, this comes down the concept of choices.  And while we both have the opportunity to make a good choice or a bad choice, I'm not sure that I would phrase it that I have an evil side.  Instead, I would say there is something, or rather someone, who consistently tempts us to go against what we know, to become less than we are.  We may sometimes feel that this route is the easiest.  But we are always in control; we get to decide what our heart will look like.  This theme seems to hit centrally on the concept of agency.  We make the decisions which determine our character.  It is our responsibility to force the "good" in us to be the only part of us.

Maybe I'm looking too deep into this, but its definitely been on my mind for a while.  And just for kicks...

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Words by Allyson. Theme by STS.